« Home | Game On! » | And so it begins » | No Cue Here » | Brisket Success! » | Tagged in a roundabout way » | Chicken, Ribs and Football! » | Finally! » | No Cure this weekend » | Wildcard Weekend BBQ » | Xmas for the foodee! » 

Tuesday, May 02, 2006 

In which I tell you about the eggs

WhitetrashBBQ asked me to tell ya'll a bit more about these smoked eggs (pictured in the post below). Well, to be honest, they couldn't be an easier thing to smoke.

I learned about smoking eggs about five years back, before I even understood the difference between grilling and smoking. One of Farmer Girl's relatives had simply stuck a couple on his smoker, and they came out wonderfully. Not long after that I gave them a shot, but because I hadn't yet learned how to control my heat, they cracked and were pretty much destroyed. Since then, I've learned how to make things cook slow and low, and why it needs to be done that way.

As I said in my last post, I don't believe in wasting grill space. I have my charcoal shipped from Maine which makes it a bit expensive, so I figure I need to get my money's worth out of each burn. With that massive brisket on the old ProGriller, I didn't have room for a chicken or anything that large. But the eggs! They fit around the edges just fine.

Cooking them on the smoker is a snap. As long as you're cooking below 250 degrees, they shouldn't crack. I choose to put them as far away from the firebox as I can, just to eliminate any chance of cracking. After that, I just leave them on the grill. There's probably an exact amount of time to cook them, but since I've just started doing it, I can't tell you what it is. Mine were a bit over done, but since they were going to be made into deviled eggs, it didn't matter much to me.

My wife whipped up some deviled eggs out of the smoked eggs and they were great. But, I felt they needed to be a bit more interesting, so last night I came up with this recipie for Mule's Smoke and Fire Deviled Eggs. I didn't measure any of the ingredients, so you'll have to do it all to taste.


Mule's Smoke and Fire Deviled Eggs

Ingredients:

12 Smoked Eggs
Mayonnaise (about 1 cup, I think)
2 Chipolte Peppers in Adobo Sauce
1/2 cup of finely diced red onions

Preparation:

Peel your eggs, rinse and cut in half lengthwise. Scoop out the yoke and mix it in a bowl with the mayo. Dice red onions very fine. Dice chipotle peppers. Mix mayo and egg until smooth, then add the diced chipotle pepper and red onions. Mix again. Refill the space in each 1/2 egg that had a yoke in it with the mixture. Sprinkle with your favorite red seasoning - I used my Triple Chile Rub.

Depending on your tolerance for heat, clean out the seeds from the chipotle peppers or if you like it hot, add four or five more of them.


These went like wildfire last night when I served them to my wife and our roomate. Try them out and let me know what you think!

Thanks,

C.

Thanks for the recipe. I'm going to try them. A quick question - not that it matters in the final taste - but it does in color. Did you start with brown or white eggs? Your smoke eggs are a beautiful golden brown and I'm just wondering if they started brown or were pure white.

WTBBQ - I'm thinking they were all brown. At this point, I don't think we've got any birds laying white eggs. We've got an overabundance of the things, so I think there'll be more smoked eggs in my future!

Have fun playing with the recipe!

Mule

Post a Comment