« Home | Interesting notes about KCBS Judging » | The Great Harpoon Adventure! » | ...and boy are my arms tired! » | And so it begins... » | Rib Practice » | A successful Father's Day BBQ » | Wicked good stuff » | Rib-tastic! » | Product Review: Char-Griller Super Pro » | A new addition! » 

Tuesday, August 02, 2005 

Another good suggestion

I was just reading a thread on the Kansas City Barbecue Society's (KCBS) forum. The initial question was titled "Help! It's my first competition!", which caught my eye. The writer asked for suggestions on preparations and lists of stuff to bring.

A good suggestion was made by "meatcutter". He said:

"I would say the biggest thing that helps me is doing a practice cook! I still do one every year 2 or 3 weeks before my first comp. Set up in your backyard just as if you were doing a contest. Have everything you need outside, no running inside to get stuff. If you have to go get it write it down, becasue you'll need it when you do it for real. Cook everything in real time. Pull an all-nighter. Start everything just like you would plan on to hit regular turn in times. A bonus is the nice meal you can have afterwards."


I think this is a very good idea. I think my team could benefit from setting up the equipment, doing the late night prep, and dealing with any curve balls the weather throws at us. I think I'll try to make this part of my summer prep regimen! Thanks to "meatcutter" for the suggestion!

Chris